Skip to main content

Great Students

Jejak PandaSelamat Membaca Di Blog Kesayangan Anda
bandarq
Many people ask me if I love working at UConn more than working as a high school English teacher, and I tell them truthfully that there are things I like a lot better, like a flexible work schedule not determined by a bell system, but that there are things I really miss about teaching high school students. Namely, I miss the students.

At UConn, I am primarily an direktur with a teaching assignment. I only teach one class a semester and then the summer institute courses, so I typically only have about twenty students a semester. I know many of you are thinking that you’d love to only have twenty papers to grade at any given time. And I agree. I would have felt the same way back when I had 87 to 126 students (my smallest and largest loads, respectively, in twelve years in a high school classroom). But I truly missed students—well, perhaps not all of them but most of them.

But now that I am a few years into the position and have become the official advisor to the dual degree students in English and Education, I enjoy seeing a regular crew of students. At this point, I have around forty advisees, mostly future high school English teachers but also Special Education and Elementary Education students. I meet with them all at least once a semester, and many of them more often than that. And I have several students who have taken more than one course with me, not to mention the many interns, tutors, and graduate assistants that I get to work with in various capacities. I find working with all these students to be one of the most rewarding aspects of my job.

One day last week I had my graduate assistant, my intern, and two other students from my class hanging out in the CWP office talking, not to me, but to one another—talking about books, teaching, graduate school, and other related subjects. I was just in my office area answering emails and feeling proud that my office was a place where all these students felt comfortable hanging out and where students from all different areas of the major could get together to talk about the field of English.

A few days later, my intern and I had lunch together and talked about his work, the novel we are currently reading in my class, and his plans for graduate school next year. The following day having lunch by myself, a former student came by very excited. I had written her a letter of recommendation for an internship, and she wanted to thank me and share with me that she would be working for CPTV this spring, and the internship director had loved her writing sample, which she had written for my class.

The following day I met with another former student to talk about graduate school. This young woman had made a tremendous impression upon me in my Advanced Composition class, and I had written her a letter of recommendation for a tutoring position with the University Writing Center, which she got. She later was assigned to work with a graduate student to run the Writing Project-Writing Center collaboration and to organize a fall conference. She also parlayed this position into some grant work with EASTCONN. Now she was hoping for a letter of recommendation for graduate school. I emailed her about a week later to let her know I had a draft if she wanted to come by and let me know which schools she had decided upon.

So, one afternoon earlier this week I was talking with my graduate assistant about her career goals after she completes her MA. We talked about the Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates and the Alternate Route to Certification, as well as teaching in the community colleges or as an adjunct. We took a break to go get coffee and bumped into the young woman who was inquiring about a letter for graduate school. Coincidentally, she had been headed to my office, so we all walked back together, and it was nice for the two young women to meet and talk because they have such similar interests.

Then, in my office, I let the young woman read a copy of the draft of the recommendation I had written, which she initially thought wasn’t permissible, but I assured her that it was my prerogative to share the letter with her. While she read, I talked with my graduate assistant about something, and when I turned around to see if the young woman was finished, she had tears in her eyes, and she said, “That’s the nicest letter anybody ever wrote about me.”

These are the things I love about my job. I love being around so many smart, interested, and interesting English majors and future teachers. I love being able to help students. I love to hear of their successes and to play even a small role in their accomplishments. They are always so thankful for the advice or the letters of recommendation, but of course they are the ones who write the papers and do the work that earns them my and everyone else’s good opinions, that earns them positions as interns, tutors, graduate assistants, and, ultimately, teachers. The day the young woman who got the position with CPTV came by, I was actually having a sort of crappy day, and her good news, enthusiasm, and sincere thanks lifted my spirits for the afternoon. I was perhaps as appreciative of her as she was of me that afternoon.

This Thursday morning, Jon Andersen, Monica Giglio, and I are leaving for the NWP Annual Meeting and NCTE Annual Convention in Philadelphia. We’re hoping for a great experience. It usually is. The following week the university is on break for Thanksgiving, so I will be taking a brief hiatus from this column till the first week of December. Happy Thanksgiving to everyone, and thanks for reading.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Veterans Day And War Literature

Jejak Panda Senantiasa Menyambut Kedatang Anda Untuk Membaca bandarqq As Veterans Day approached, I found myself thinking about the many books we read in my American Literature course that deal with war and its consequences. Though Huck Finn does not deal directly with war, it’s difficult to study the work of Mark Twain and not discuss the Civil War or Twain’s anti-war and anti-imperialist writings. William Faulkner notoriously lied about his World War I service record but later became a goodwill ambassador for the State Department and won the first of his two Pulitzer Prizes in 1955 for A Fable , which chronicles a soldier’s unsuccessful attempt to end fighting in World War I. Hemingway is perhaps the only American author to win the Pulitzer and the Nobel Prizes as well as a Silver Medal and a Bronze Star. His early works, especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms , chronicle the horrors of war and its aftermath. Even works like A Streetcar Named Desire or On

Travel And Transformation

Jejak Panda Menambah Ilmu Dengan Membaca Di Situs Kesayangan Anda judi ceme online Lately, one of the toughest things about writing this column has been deciding what to write about. There is plenty of education news to discuss, but it’s mostly depressing—budget cuts and job shortages. I feel awful for the students going onto the market now. There are so many talented students in both English and Education that are entering a bleak job market and are essentially competing amongst themselves for a handful of positions. So anyway, I didn’t want to write about that because it’s nothing everyone doesn’t already know and isn’t already upset about. So then I thought I should write about the New England Writing Projects Annual Retreat we’re hosting at UConn this weekend, but I really should write about that next week after it has happened and I have something to report on. Right now the only thing I could really write about is how frustrated I am by people who cancel at the

Making Writing And Literature Contemporary

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Kembali Di Blog Kesayangan Anda bandar ceme Every fall I teach a section of an American Literature survey course. I always tweak the writing assignments, but for several years I have been giving a version of the same assignment. Students have to use one or more of the texts from the course as lenses through which to view and interpret a contemporary ‘text,’ which I define broadly to include any current book, film, television series, political or cultural event or figure. Students have the option of writing two, seven-page essays, one due at midterm and the other at the final, or of working throughout the semester on one fifteen page essay. About a third of my current twenty students have chosen the fifteen page option. Students must do research on their contemporary text, which can involve reading news articles or watching sitcoms, depending on the nature of the text they choose, and they must draft. There are four response group sessions and two te