Skip to main content

Those Who Can Do More, Teach

Jejak PandaKembali Bertemu Lagi Di Blog Ini, Silakan Membaca
bandar ceme 99
When I was in graduate school at Humboldt State University, I used to read a comic strip in the San Francisco Examiner called Luann. It takes place in a junior/senior high school, and one recurring storyline in the strip involves funny banter that takes place in the faculty room. In one strip, a bespectacled male history teacher named Mr. Fogarty is talking with a guidance counselor named Miss Phelps, and he says, “I wish I could quit teaching and go write a novel.” Miss Phelps replies, “Ah, yes, the ‘frustrated teacher syndrome.’ The art teacher wants to be a great painter, the science teacher wants to do research ….” Mr. Fogarty interrupts Miss Phelps and says, “What’s Mrs. Thorpe want to do?” Miss Phelps replies, “Thorpe? What’s she teach?” Mr. Fogarty responds, “Sex Education.”

In the Prologue to Teacher Man, Frank McCourt’s third memoir, McCourt writes, “In the world of books I am a late bloomer, a johnny-come-lately, new kid on the block. My first book, Angela’s Ashes, was published in 1996 when I was sixty-six, the second, ‘Tis, in 1999 when I was sixty-nine. At that age it was a wonder I could lift a pen at all. New friends of mine (recently acquired because of my ascension to the best-seller lists) had published books in their twenties. Striplings.
So, what took you so long?
I was teaching, that’s what took me so long. Not in college or university, where you have all the time in the world for writing and other diversions, but in four different New York City public high schools. … When you teach five high school classes a day, five days a week, you’re not inclined to go home to clear your head and fashion deathless prose. After a day of five classes your head is filled with the clamor of the classroom.”

Both the comic strip and Frank McCourt’s prologue address the aphorism we’re all familiar with: Those who can, do. Those who can’t, teach. (Sometimes this is followed by, Those who can’t teach, administrate. I say this with all due respect for administrators—now that I am one). And certainly, while I am disinclined to give much credence to such a cliché, there is much truth to the old saying, though Frank McCourt’s observations put it into a more appropriate context. It’s not that teachers can’t, so much as that they can’t find the time or the energy. After all, we were good students once, who not only loved to read but also loved to write, and had at least some skill at the task. That interest and those skills didn’t just evaporate the day we first sat on the other side of the desk. What happened is that we began taking home 100 essays every few weeks and killing ourselves trying to get them read and graded with at least a modicum of helpful narrative response.

However, with all due respect to the recently deceased Frank McCourt, there are, in fact, many teachers who completely dispel this myth of the teacher who can’t, as well as who dispel the notion of the teacher who can’t find the time. There are those among us who toil with the hundreds of papers, who go home at night exhausted only to put in a couple more hours of grading, who go home weekends laden with bags of papers, projects, and quizzes to assess, who assign research papers to be due the Friday before a vacation so that we can spend our vacation grading, and yet who nonetheless still find the time for writing and scholarship.

This Thursday evening at UConn is the Aetna Awards Night, when we will be honoring writers who won contests sponsored and funded by the Aetna Chair of Writing. These include graduate students, undergraduates, and high school students taking UConn English, but it also includes Writing Project teachers who have completed this year’s Summer Institute and who have won awards for their poetry and prose. This year, the CWP Teacher-Consultant Writing Contest had over eighty submissions from almost thirty different teachers from all grade levels, kindergarten through college. We are publishing twenty-seven different pieces from twenty-three different teachers. Three are elementary school teachers, two are middle school teachers, fourteen are high school teachers, one is a graduate student at UConn, two are community college professors, and one is an adjunct professor. Five are former or current Teachers of the Year in their schools or districts. Three have published books of poetry. One has published a work of nonfiction. Five are currently writing novels. One received the PEN Discovery Award for Young Adult Literature in 2007. One had her fiction published in Best New American Voices 2006. One is a published playwright and poet. One is a Freedom Writer. One is a freelance journalist. One has published a half dozen scholarly articles within the last five years. And one received both a Fulbright Fellowship and a National Endowment for the Humanities Grant in the last five years.

Looking over this impressive cast of teachers, I am made to think of a coffee mug given to me when I got my first job teaching high school English. It said, Those Who Can, Do. Those Who Can Do More, Teach. That mug was lost years ago, but I’m thinking I should go online to see if I can order some to give out to my CWP colleagues. I’m gonna need a bunch.

* * *

I just began reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to my son, our fourth Roald Dahl book. He loves it, as did I. I bumped into my friend Jon the other day, and he and I were trying to recall when we first read that book. For me, it was during the Blizzard of 1978, which occurred in early February. I would be nine that April. We lost power, and I spent two days reading the book by candlelight in my parents’ living room. A nice memory to have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel And Transformation

Jejak Panda Menambah Ilmu Dengan Membaca Di Situs Kesayangan Anda judi ceme online Lately, one of the toughest things about writing this column has been deciding what to write about. There is plenty of education news to discuss, but it’s mostly depressing—budget cuts and job shortages. I feel awful for the students going onto the market now. There are so many talented students in both English and Education that are entering a bleak job market and are essentially competing amongst themselves for a handful of positions. So anyway, I didn’t want to write about that because it’s nothing everyone doesn’t already know and isn’t already upset about. So then I thought I should write about the New England Writing Projects Annual Retreat we’re hosting at UConn this weekend, but I really should write about that next week after it has happened and I have something to report on. Right now the only thing I could really write about is how frustrated I am by people who cancel at the

Veterans Day And War Literature

Jejak Panda Senantiasa Menyambut Kedatang Anda Untuk Membaca bandarqq As Veterans Day approached, I found myself thinking about the many books we read in my American Literature course that deal with war and its consequences. Though Huck Finn does not deal directly with war, it’s difficult to study the work of Mark Twain and not discuss the Civil War or Twain’s anti-war and anti-imperialist writings. William Faulkner notoriously lied about his World War I service record but later became a goodwill ambassador for the State Department and won the first of his two Pulitzer Prizes in 1955 for A Fable , which chronicles a soldier’s unsuccessful attempt to end fighting in World War I. Hemingway is perhaps the only American author to win the Pulitzer and the Nobel Prizes as well as a Silver Medal and a Bronze Star. His early works, especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms , chronicle the horrors of war and its aftermath. Even works like A Streetcar Named Desire or On

Making Writing And Literature Contemporary

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Kembali Di Blog Kesayangan Anda bandar ceme Every fall I teach a section of an American Literature survey course. I always tweak the writing assignments, but for several years I have been giving a version of the same assignment. Students have to use one or more of the texts from the course as lenses through which to view and interpret a contemporary ‘text,’ which I define broadly to include any current book, film, television series, political or cultural event or figure. Students have the option of writing two, seven-page essays, one due at midterm and the other at the final, or of working throughout the semester on one fifteen page essay. About a third of my current twenty students have chosen the fifteen page option. Students must do research on their contemporary text, which can involve reading news articles or watching sitcoms, depending on the nature of the text they choose, and they must draft. There are four response group sessions and two te