Skip to main content

What Makes A Good Teacher Good?

Jejak PandaHallo Jumpa Lagi Kita Di Website Ini
judi bandarq
When I finished my MA, I really wanted to remain in California. I wanted to move to San Francisco, but I had no job and no savings, and housing in the Bay Area was exorbitant. In short, I wound up applying for jobs back in Connecticut. But since this was before wide-spread use of the internet, I had to write the State Department of Education for a listing of all school districts and addresses, and I proceeded to mail a version of a single letter to all one hundred and sixty nine districts in the state of Connecticut expressing an interest in a job teaching high school English. I used my grandparents’ Madison address as a return address. Then I drove cross country in my old Hyundai Excel, got an apartment in the west end of Hartford, and a job waiting tables at a country club in Simsbury. Worst job I ever had, but that is clearly another story. And I waited for calls for interviews. Over the next several weeks, I got seven interviews, and ultimately I was offered six jobs.

The job I wasn’t offered sticks out in my memory for two reasons. I won’t name the school, but suffice to say it was on the Gold Coast. Besides using my grandparents’ Madison address as my return address, I also gave my then girlfriend’s Simsbury address as an alternate contact. I did this because I mailed out the letters before I had my place in Hartford. One reason I remember this interview so well is that when the secretary called to arrange the interview, she said to me something to the effect that “We see you list Madison and Simsbury as your residences. We think this is important because it is essential that teachers understand our kind of kids.” That alone should have made me decline the interview, but I needed a job, so I just said, “Yes, of course,” and was thankful that I hadn’t used my Hartford address or my parents’ addresses in Hamden.

The other reason I remember this interview was because my answer to one question doomed my chances. The head of the English department asked me what made me a good teacher, and I answered that teaching seemed to come naturally to me, and perhaps this was because I had grown up in a family of teachers, and so the profession in general was simply salient to me. Teaching was just intuitive. Well, the department head made no attempt to conceal his eye roll in response to my answer, and I knew I better head back to my hole in the wall in Hartford and my table-waiting job in Simsbury, and remember not to give that answer at the next interview.

I have thought about my answer to that questions many times over the years, and was reminded of it today when I read Elizabeth Green’s article in the New York Times, titled “Building a Better Teacher.” The article is a lengthy report on Ms. Green’s observations of two educational researchers’ work on what makes good teachers good. One of the things Green attempts to dispel is the notion that good teachers are born, that the skills requisite for good teaching are ever inherent or intuitive in some people, as I seemed to feel they were back when I was twenty-four.

Honestly, I must admit that I am ambivalent on the issue. But I am not as arrogant as I was at twenty-four. (My wife, mother, and good friends might challenge me on this, but I insist …). And so today I much more readily acknowledge the excellent pembinaan I received at UConn from Mary Mackley, Cheryl Spaulding, and Judy Irwin, in particular, as well as from my cooperating teacher Roz Rosen, and the faculty members in the English Department at Humboldt State University—notably Karen Carlton, Kathleen Doty, Tom Gage, and William Bivens. In retrospect, I was smart and confident and creative, and comfortable in front of a room of strangers; teaching was salient because I had grown up in a family of teachers; but I also received a great deal of truly excellent pembinaan from my professors and cooperating teachers.

So one of the things Green explores in her article is whether or not we can identify and thus recruit or teach those essential traits of the best teachers. Her conclusion, in a nutshell, is that yes we can. But as in all things of any complex nature, the devil is in the details.

I won’t summarize all of Green’s conclusions here. Her article is excellent and interesting, and you all can read it for yourselves. But what I found myself doing after reading the article was thinking about the best teachers I had—not the professors I listed above, but the elementary, middle, and high school teachers that really succeeded with me. Not simply the ones I liked, who may in fact have been mediocre teachers but nice people, but the truly talented teachers. Mrs. Plummer in first grade. Mr. Brucker in second grade. Mrs. McGough in sixth grade. Mr. Suprenaut in eighth grade. Mr. Miata and Mrs. Moakley in ninth grade. Mrs. Bonn in tenth grade and Mrs. Leary in eleventh. Language Arts, English, and History teachers all, except for Bonn (Spanish) and Leary (Math). I had lots of other good teachers, but this would probably be the short list for great teachers, K-12.

So, why so few, and what made them different? It’s so hard to say. All were kind and liked their students. I can’t recall any of them ever raising their voice (which is more than I can say for myself, that’s for sure). They knew their material. They were organized. They were demanding without being unreasonable or cruel. They all did not teach the same way, however. What, if anything, could I extrapolate and universalize from my experiences with them? What could I ever reproduce in a teacher pembinaan program? Truly, I’m not sure. Are you?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel And Transformation

Jejak Panda Menambah Ilmu Dengan Membaca Di Situs Kesayangan Anda judi ceme online Lately, one of the toughest things about writing this column has been deciding what to write about. There is plenty of education news to discuss, but it’s mostly depressing—budget cuts and job shortages. I feel awful for the students going onto the market now. There are so many talented students in both English and Education that are entering a bleak job market and are essentially competing amongst themselves for a handful of positions. So anyway, I didn’t want to write about that because it’s nothing everyone doesn’t already know and isn’t already upset about. So then I thought I should write about the New England Writing Projects Annual Retreat we’re hosting at UConn this weekend, but I really should write about that next week after it has happened and I have something to report on. Right now the only thing I could really write about is how frustrated I am by people who cancel at the

Making Writing And Literature Contemporary

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Kembali Di Blog Kesayangan Anda bandar ceme Every fall I teach a section of an American Literature survey course. I always tweak the writing assignments, but for several years I have been giving a version of the same assignment. Students have to use one or more of the texts from the course as lenses through which to view and interpret a contemporary ‘text,’ which I define broadly to include any current book, film, television series, political or cultural event or figure. Students have the option of writing two, seven-page essays, one due at midterm and the other at the final, or of working throughout the semester on one fifteen page essay. About a third of my current twenty students have chosen the fifteen page option. Students must do research on their contemporary text, which can involve reading news articles or watching sitcoms, depending on the nature of the text they choose, and they must draft. There are four response group sessions and two te

Veterans Day And War Literature

Jejak Panda Senantiasa Menyambut Kedatang Anda Untuk Membaca bandarqq As Veterans Day approached, I found myself thinking about the many books we read in my American Literature course that deal with war and its consequences. Though Huck Finn does not deal directly with war, it’s difficult to study the work of Mark Twain and not discuss the Civil War or Twain’s anti-war and anti-imperialist writings. William Faulkner notoriously lied about his World War I service record but later became a goodwill ambassador for the State Department and won the first of his two Pulitzer Prizes in 1955 for A Fable , which chronicles a soldier’s unsuccessful attempt to end fighting in World War I. Hemingway is perhaps the only American author to win the Pulitzer and the Nobel Prizes as well as a Silver Medal and a Bronze Star. His early works, especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms , chronicle the horrors of war and its aftermath. Even works like A Streetcar Named Desire or On