Skip to main content

Steal This Book!

Jejak PandaSelamat Datang Dan Selamat Membaca
play bandarq
Last week I collected term papers from my undergraduate students in the Advanced Composition course. One of the women in the course wrote about a time during high school when she fell in love with Gabriel García Márquez. It was the spring semester of her senior year. One day she went to the school library to see what they had by García Márquez, and she discovered a book that hadn’t been checked out in over a decade. On a whim, she stole the book. The weather was beautiful and she was suffering from a serious case of senioritis, so she skipped class and snuck out to the parking lot to stretch out on the hood of her car and read Love in the Time of Cholera.

I love that story. I told her that it made me want to be nineteen again so I could meet that girl. But the story also made me think that, despite the fact that there are several things she did that were ostensibly wrong—stealing a book and cutting class—my student demonstrated a love and appreciation for literature that would have made me proud. She probably had a deeper, more meaningful experience with that novel than if she had read it in class and completed weekly reading quizzes and a five paragraph expository essay with a thesis statement in the last line of the first paragraph. Etc. Etc.

This week is the last week of the academic semester at UConn, and so this blog entry is going to be my last till the fall. I was thinking about this as I was thinking about what I wanted to write this week. And my original idea was to write about the kind of learning, reading, and writing we do over the summer. I know so many of us long for the summers so we can actually do some serious pleasure reading. So we can read all the great new novels that came out this past year that we couldn’t find the time to read amid all the paper grading and progress reports and PPT meetings and such.

But that got me thinking about all sorts of unstructured and unsanctioned learning that takes place within and without school.

Though this admission may annoy some of you—it certainly annoyed a few of my colleagues when I was a high school teacher—I used to let students hang out in my class when they were supposed to be elsewhere. My last year at RHAM, I had one senior who used to cut class to come to my second and my fourth period classes in American Literature. She didn’t have me for American Lit when she was a ingusan because I was on sabbatical, so in a sense she repeated her ingusan year by coming to my class regularly. She especially liked when we read plays. She would take parts and did a great job reading her lines.

I had another student who was in my fourth period class who used to skip her seventh period class to come to my class a second time each day. It was the same prep but a nicer class—better behaved and more involved. In this girl’s case, she had some serious problems going on at home (a parent was in the process of getting arrested for embezzlement, of all things), and I guess my room was a safe place. The teacher whose class she was skipping was a good friend of mine, and I used to call him to let him know the girl was with me. We both preferred that she be with me than leave school grounds and go who-knows-where to deal with her problems. I don’t recall if the girl passed the class she cut so frequently, but because of the better rapport in my seventh period class, she learned more in there than she did in the fourth period class she was actually enrolled in.

So I don’t mean to encourage cutting classes as a means to educational attainment, but simply to make a point. In this periode of high stakes standardized testing, merit pay for teachers tied to state tests, and even property values tied to CMT and CAPT scores, we should remember that not all learning happens in the formulaic, sanctioned ways we intend it to occur. Sometimes our best discussions of our subject matter take place in the hallways between classes and the best papers our students write are in personal journals they never share with anyone.

Today we had a department meeting and yet another debate about our merit pay policy. Let me tell you, listening to a bunch of English professors quibble about whether a certain committee should be worth one point or two or whether a poem is equivalent to a scholarly article was simply disheartening. I kept asking myself if anyone else in the room besides me remembers falling in love with words, remembers reading novels beneath trees in autumn, or writing love poems to people out hearts pined for desperately.

I spent ninety minutes in a windowless room on this glorious day thinking, I shouldn’t be here. I should steal a book and go read it on the hood of my car in the parking lot. Could you imagine if you had your class do that as a lesson? Could you imagine your building principal or superintendent doing that?

Anyway, I know this summer we’ll all be teaching summer school and writing curricula and doing book orders and preparing new preps and such, but I hope that most of you find the time to read a book or two beneath a tree, or to write a poem or letter to someone you love. Just take the time to remind yourself why you fell in love with this field in the first place. Otherwise, it’s just a job, and we might as well be stacking boxes in a warehouse, or denying insurance claims in a Dilbert cubicle in some basement office of an insurance giant.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel And Transformation

Jejak Panda Menambah Ilmu Dengan Membaca Di Situs Kesayangan Anda judi ceme online Lately, one of the toughest things about writing this column has been deciding what to write about. There is plenty of education news to discuss, but it’s mostly depressing—budget cuts and job shortages. I feel awful for the students going onto the market now. There are so many talented students in both English and Education that are entering a bleak job market and are essentially competing amongst themselves for a handful of positions. So anyway, I didn’t want to write about that because it’s nothing everyone doesn’t already know and isn’t already upset about. So then I thought I should write about the New England Writing Projects Annual Retreat we’re hosting at UConn this weekend, but I really should write about that next week after it has happened and I have something to report on. Right now the only thing I could really write about is how frustrated I am by people who cancel at the

Making Writing And Literature Contemporary

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Kembali Di Blog Kesayangan Anda bandar ceme Every fall I teach a section of an American Literature survey course. I always tweak the writing assignments, but for several years I have been giving a version of the same assignment. Students have to use one or more of the texts from the course as lenses through which to view and interpret a contemporary ‘text,’ which I define broadly to include any current book, film, television series, political or cultural event or figure. Students have the option of writing two, seven-page essays, one due at midterm and the other at the final, or of working throughout the semester on one fifteen page essay. About a third of my current twenty students have chosen the fifteen page option. Students must do research on their contemporary text, which can involve reading news articles or watching sitcoms, depending on the nature of the text they choose, and they must draft. There are four response group sessions and two te

Veterans Day And War Literature

Jejak Panda Senantiasa Menyambut Kedatang Anda Untuk Membaca bandarqq As Veterans Day approached, I found myself thinking about the many books we read in my American Literature course that deal with war and its consequences. Though Huck Finn does not deal directly with war, it’s difficult to study the work of Mark Twain and not discuss the Civil War or Twain’s anti-war and anti-imperialist writings. William Faulkner notoriously lied about his World War I service record but later became a goodwill ambassador for the State Department and won the first of his two Pulitzer Prizes in 1955 for A Fable , which chronicles a soldier’s unsuccessful attempt to end fighting in World War I. Hemingway is perhaps the only American author to win the Pulitzer and the Nobel Prizes as well as a Silver Medal and a Bronze Star. His early works, especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms , chronicle the horrors of war and its aftermath. Even works like A Streetcar Named Desire or On