Skip to main content

Just Don't Get Me Started!

Jejak PandaSelamat Membaca Di Blog Kesayangan Anda
bandarq
Last week I strove to be positive, since it was the first post of the new year, but this week I have to vent a little. This Tuesday the education budget in Windham goes to referendum for the fifth time. Last night was a public lembaga on the budget, and by all accounts it was pretty vitriolic. Honestly, this is not the worst budget session I have experienced. When I was teaching at RHAM High School it took four referenda to get funding approved for new school construction, and then subsequently it took twelve referenda to approve an education budget. (I won’t get into the fact that at the same time on a separate vote football was approved to be added as a varsity sport on the first vote. We lost four teachers and suffered the departure of a fairly pro-teacher superintendent, but we got football as a solace for our losses. Don’t get me started!).

This budget vote has gotten me frustrated for myriad reasons. I am frustrated that the federal government can spend billions of dollars on war but so little on education. I am furious that the federal government spent billions of dollars to bail out financial institutions and auto makers but only recently approved a one time surplus for schools of ten billion dollars. It sounds like a significant amount of money, but consider that President Obama is currently seeking five times that amount for road construction. And furthermore, it is just a stop gap. The money will allow schools to save some jobs now, but what happens next year?

I am frustrated that the federal government is playing cat and mouse games with the Race to the Top funds, requiring states to erode tenure laws and place undue emphasis on standardized testing to qualify for the money, and then awarding money to so few states!

I am frustrated that the state contributes so little to local education. The high school reform act has been passed, with implementation deferred for several years, but there is no plan in place for how to fund implementation of the new law’s mandates when the time comes—and the federal stimulus money is gone.

I am frustrated that we continue to rely on property taxes for local education funding, which only creates an incredibly unequal system that results in incredible disparities in funding and thus quality of education. I hate that magnet schools and charter schools somewhat address this provincial approach to school funding but in ways that erode teachers’ professional rights, much as the demands of the Race to the Top grants do.

It drives me crazy to hear local politicians and newspaper editors and just local residents demean and blame the teachers and declare that they won’t vote yes for the school budget because the teachers have it too good and there are too many administrators. Do the folks who say this have any idea how much work it is to teach? Do the folks who say this really think their no vote is going to result in administrative positions being eliminated in the next budget round? Of course these are rhetorical questions. As a former colleague of mine used to say, the civilians would never understand.

When there are cuts we just lose teachers and wind up with larger class sizes. An acquaintance of mine said the other day that he liked when this sort of thing happened periodically because it forced the boards of education and finance to “trim the fat out of the budget.” I asked him if eliminating teachers, eliminating aides, increasing class sizes, and reducing or eliminating world language programs, art, and music was his idea of trimming out the fat. He admitted that he never really gave the details much thought.

I am insanely angry that the four referenda in Windham had voter turnouts of 13%, 12%, 11%, and 13% of eligible voters respectively. I don’t understand how so many people can just not bother, how so many people just don’t care. Apparently they don’t care if it passes or if it fails. They just don’t care. Period.

It drives me crazy to see so many talented pre-service or newly graduated teachers with such poor job prospects. These young men and women could be doing such wonderful work helping our students, and they are just idle—going back to school to ride out the recession, living home, leaving the profession, leaving the state, taking part time and non-traditional positions. And even the ones who still have jobs are taking second jobs. Before the educational enhancement acts of the 1980s, second jobs and part time jobs were, if not the norm, pretty common within the profession. Then they became rare because they became unnecessary. Now they are becoming quite common again. Several of my wife’s colleagues tend kafe and wait tables on Friday and Saturday nights. Just the other day I was in the supermarket and one of the teachers from my son’s school made me a turkey grinder at the deli station when I stopped in on the way home after a late night at work. Just trying to pay the bills, she told me. She’s young, new to the profession, and very good, but the pay in Windham doesn’t cut it.

This is why I want to scream when I hear some guy in the checkout line going on and on about how well paid teachers are and how little work they have to do and how bad they are at their jobs despite all this. And so he’s voting against the budget—again.

We’re hosting a secondary writing centers conference here in Storrs again next month, and all the participating schools are asking us for a couple hundred dollars here or there to pay for bus transportation, to purchase a table, purchase some chairs, books, maybe a laptop—just one. Please. Their schools just don’t have the funds and they hope the university does.

Please, just don’t get me started.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel And Transformation

Jejak Panda Menambah Ilmu Dengan Membaca Di Situs Kesayangan Anda judi ceme online Lately, one of the toughest things about writing this column has been deciding what to write about. There is plenty of education news to discuss, but it’s mostly depressing—budget cuts and job shortages. I feel awful for the students going onto the market now. There are so many talented students in both English and Education that are entering a bleak job market and are essentially competing amongst themselves for a handful of positions. So anyway, I didn’t want to write about that because it’s nothing everyone doesn’t already know and isn’t already upset about. So then I thought I should write about the New England Writing Projects Annual Retreat we’re hosting at UConn this weekend, but I really should write about that next week after it has happened and I have something to report on. Right now the only thing I could really write about is how frustrated I am by people who cancel at the

Making Writing And Literature Contemporary

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Kembali Di Blog Kesayangan Anda bandar ceme Every fall I teach a section of an American Literature survey course. I always tweak the writing assignments, but for several years I have been giving a version of the same assignment. Students have to use one or more of the texts from the course as lenses through which to view and interpret a contemporary ‘text,’ which I define broadly to include any current book, film, television series, political or cultural event or figure. Students have the option of writing two, seven-page essays, one due at midterm and the other at the final, or of working throughout the semester on one fifteen page essay. About a third of my current twenty students have chosen the fifteen page option. Students must do research on their contemporary text, which can involve reading news articles or watching sitcoms, depending on the nature of the text they choose, and they must draft. There are four response group sessions and two te

Veterans Day And War Literature

Jejak Panda Senantiasa Menyambut Kedatang Anda Untuk Membaca bandarqq As Veterans Day approached, I found myself thinking about the many books we read in my American Literature course that deal with war and its consequences. Though Huck Finn does not deal directly with war, it’s difficult to study the work of Mark Twain and not discuss the Civil War or Twain’s anti-war and anti-imperialist writings. William Faulkner notoriously lied about his World War I service record but later became a goodwill ambassador for the State Department and won the first of his two Pulitzer Prizes in 1955 for A Fable , which chronicles a soldier’s unsuccessful attempt to end fighting in World War I. Hemingway is perhaps the only American author to win the Pulitzer and the Nobel Prizes as well as a Silver Medal and a Bronze Star. His early works, especially The Sun Also Rises and A Farewell to Arms , chronicle the horrors of war and its aftermath. Even works like A Streetcar Named Desire or On