Skip to main content

The Merits Of Advising

Jejak PandaKembali Lagi Bertemu Di Situs Kesayangan Anda
situs bandar ceme
This week and next is advising at UConn, when all the students have to sign up for twenty minute slots to meet their advisors to plan their schedules for next semester. If you went to UConn back in the day like I did, you might remember forging signatures on add/drop cards and standing in line in the ROTC hangar to register. Seems like such a madhouse now. I rarely met with my advisor. I had a professor I was friendly with who showed me how to forge his signature so I could expedite registration.

The students can’t do that now. Now, everything is computerized. There are electronic holds that prevent students from using the online registration system if they haven’t paid their fee bill or if they haven’t met with their advisor. And each student is assigned a pick day when they can actually log into the system and register. It’s still a madhouse, but without all the students being herded into one small building.

There are over 800 English majors and sixty-eight professors, so that comes to around twelve advisees per professor. If we take on more than fifteen advisees the merit committee awards extra merit. I have fifty-five as of today—all the dual degree students in English and Education plus all the English majors who haven’t applied to the School of Education yet.

But don’t get me wrong. I’m not complaining (well, maybe about the fact that a professor with sixteen advisees qualifies for the same merit as me with my fifty-five). I find the advising period hectic and exhausting, but I really enjoy meeting all my students. I have so many interesting advisees. Lots of students in the honors program, students studying abroad in London and Dublin, students double-majoring for their Liberal Arts degree. I spoke with a young woman this afternoon who is double-majoring in English and Spanish for her Liberal Arts degree with an IB/M in Elementary Education. I thought that was very cool.

I’ve also been very impressed by the students who did not get into Neag but who stayed with me for advising for an English degree. Most—maybe all—of them are planning to apply to the Teacher Certification Program for College Graduates at the West Hartford or Waterbury branches. (Back in the day, I did that aktivitas before it was a degree program. Now it is a very intensive and rigorous one-year MA program). But now that they are free of the forty, forty-two, or fifty credits they would have to take as Secondary English, Elementary, or Special Education students, they can do all sorts of cool things with their degree to make themselves good candidates for graduate school in Education. One young woman I met with Tuesday is working on a Certificate in Teaching English from the English Department, a concentration in Criminology, and a minor in Psychology. Another I met with on Monday is working on both the Concentration in Teaching English and the Concentration in Creative Writing. (She will have about forty-eight credits in English, not counting the introduction to Creative Writing prerequisite. For a degree, you only need thirty). Plus she is pursuing a concentration in Women’s Studies.

The other thing I love about advising is talking to the students about their lives. It’s not something encouraged or discussed much within the department, and I know that many if not most of my colleagues avoid it, but I really embrace being an adult mentor to the students. I enjoy getting to know the students and talking to them about themselves, not just about the courses they want to register for. Just this week I had one young man who came to talk about his struggles adjusting to UConn as a transfer student. Two days later, another student opened up to me about struggling with depression. I also had a former high school student come sign up to be my advisee. She went a little astray in life and has just now returned to college after a few wayward years and two years at a community college.

The lives and transcripts of these three students aren’t as neat and tidy and professional-looking as those of most of my advisees, but I relish being able to help and guide these students, too. I feel honored that they come to me, and I am happy when I can help them. To me, that’s much more meaningful than scholarship—even if the merit review committee doesn’t really give a damn.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Travel And Transformation

Jejak Panda Menambah Ilmu Dengan Membaca Di Situs Kesayangan Anda judi ceme online Lately, one of the toughest things about writing this column has been deciding what to write about. There is plenty of education news to discuss, but it’s mostly depressing—budget cuts and job shortages. I feel awful for the students going onto the market now. There are so many talented students in both English and Education that are entering a bleak job market and are essentially competing amongst themselves for a handful of positions. So anyway, I didn’t want to write about that because it’s nothing everyone doesn’t already know and isn’t already upset about. So then I thought I should write about the New England Writing Projects Annual Retreat we’re hosting at UConn this weekend, but I really should write about that next week after it has happened and I have something to report on. Right now the only thing I could really write about is how frustrated I am by people who cancel at the

Making Writing And Literature Contemporary

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Kembali Di Blog Kesayangan Anda bandar ceme Every fall I teach a section of an American Literature survey course. I always tweak the writing assignments, but for several years I have been giving a version of the same assignment. Students have to use one or more of the texts from the course as lenses through which to view and interpret a contemporary ‘text,’ which I define broadly to include any current book, film, television series, political or cultural event or figure. Students have the option of writing two, seven-page essays, one due at midterm and the other at the final, or of working throughout the semester on one fifteen page essay. About a third of my current twenty students have chosen the fifteen page option. Students must do research on their contemporary text, which can involve reading news articles or watching sitcoms, depending on the nature of the text they choose, and they must draft. There are four response group sessions and two te

Tracking My Ambivalence

Jejak Panda Selamat Datang Lagi Di Blog Ini bandar ceme terpercaya I’m very ambivalent about the State Department of Education’s tawaran to eliminate tracking. I was talking to one secondary colleague from Mansfield and another who teaches elementary school in East Hartford who are both supportive of the decision. The dyed-in-the-wool liberal in me is supportive, but I have my reservations about practicality. I spoke with my mother last night about tracking. She recently retired after thirty-six years as a first grade teacher, and she’s very much against the move. My first memories of tracking come from first and second grade. My first grade education was very much a product of the times—1975. Ridge Hill School in Hamden had six classrooms that opened onto a common amphitheater-like pit. All students in the first, second, and third grades were together, as in a Montessori school. And we were placed in groups according to our abilities. I was in Mrs. Davis’ homeroom w